Day 2 of my 30 day challenge to paint one painting a day.
My thoughts: I started a shell series the year between college and going to grad school. I have quite the collection of broken shells; I love how they look like artifacts that have washed up on the shore. They have a history to their patina and when you zoom in on one they can become very abstract... anyway, I decided to reunite with this subject matter. And my plan is to focus on painting these artifacts over the course of this challenge. Might as well have one continuous body of work! I began today as I did yesterday, although a bit more set up, I attempted to paint on the same reeves bfk paper, and within two brush strokes I realized what my hang up was yesterday- the paper. Although I love it for print making for painting it stinks- it pills and just doesn't work well with watercolor. So I rummaged around and found some old watercolor paper, Thank GOD! And I set to work. Above is the completed little study, measuring 8x5 inches. (click on image to view it larger)
Check back in tomorrow for day 3!