Friday, March 14, 2014

Boy's Baby and Toddler Scarf Knitting Pattern


I recently took the train to NYC and needed a little knitting project for my ride. I decided to knit our son a boy's version of the baby scarf I knit for our daughter. It took me roughly 4 hours total, and he looks quite dapper! (I like how his little feet are holding hands.)




I adapted the knitting pattern by Liesl Gibson on her blog disdressed.

Note: I knit 4" of the square portion, you could knit less, but I knit it long in order to grow with him. Our daughter has worn her scarf from 1-3.5 (so far).

Gauge: 4.5 stitches per inch, cotton/ non-itchy yarn (I use double pointed size 6 needles)

Cast on 16
Knit 4" (or length desired... 3" etc)
K1, M1, knit to last 2, M1, K1
K 1 row
K1, M1, K to last 2, M1, K1= 20
K1 row


With double-point needles, slip 1st stitch on needle 1, 2nd stitch on needle 2, 3rd stitch on needle 1, etc. Odd stitches will be on needle 1 and even stitches on needle 2.

Work 1 x 1 rib for 1 1/2 inches on each needle respectively (break yarn after working needle 1, before working needle 2)
Holding needles together, knit 1st stitch from 1st needle, then 1st stitch from 2nd needle until all 20 stitches are on one needle
Knit every row until scarf is the desired length (for the scarf I made the baby, this section measured about 11" not including the rib or the end)
With double-point needles, slip 1st stitch on needle 1, 2nd stitch on needle 2, 3rd stitch on needle 1, etc. as done previously. Odd stitches will be on needle 1 and even stitches on needle 2.
Work 1 x 1 rib for 1 1/2 inches on each needle respectively (break yarn after working needle 1, before working needle 2)
Holding needles together, knit 1st stitch from 1st needle, then 1st stitch from 2nd needle until all 20 stitches are on one needle

next row: K1, K2 together, Knit to last 2, SSK
Knit row
K1, K2 together, Knit to last 2, SSK = 16 stitches 

Knit 4 inches then cast off.

Happy knitting!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...