Friday, June 18, 2010

CHERRIES



It's getting to be Cherry Season, and I am so excited!

I have always loved cherries, but my passion for them intensified after spending two summers in Michigan near Traverse City. Traverse City is known as the Cherry Capital and every summer they have a Cherry Festival! Yeah, that's right a Festival completely dedicated to the wonderful fruit that is the Cherry! I'm half tempted to take a road trip this year to the festival, and I'm sure in years to come I will be one of those tourists who books my room a year in advance for this special occasion.


Another Michigan favorite of mine is Cherry Republic! Their ice cream is AMAZING- Cherry Garcia doesn't even stand a chance!  And if you can't visit their lovely shop and ice cream store in person- their online store fits the bill!!! I'm even signed up for their email updates, which are fun to get throughout the year, especially during the gray months of winter.

We have a little Cherry rule in my family- To make a classic Cherry pie you will need Cherries packed in water. This makes the pie so fresh and tasty with none of this corn syrup crap, no thank you! ( Let me know in the comments if you want our pie recipe and I'll share it!)

Huffingtonpost's food section has some fun Cherry recipes from classic desserts to fun sides like Cherry salsa!

I hope this has inspired you to get yourself some cherries and to whip up something fun this summer or keep it classic with a simple bowl of the tasty fruit!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...